[Numeracy 590] Teaching math and numeracy skills to adults learning English

Seltenright, Ginny Ginny.Seltenright at azed.gov
Wed Oct 20 10:51:14 EDT 2010

I think that there's a misunderstanding due to the title of the booklet referred to here, "The Answer Is Still the Same...It Doesn't Matter How You Got It!"'
It does matter how you get there, what doesn't matter is that the student uses a different process than what the teacher perhaps is showing or another student is using. I went through the TIAN training in Arizona which emphasizes student exploration and the idea that there are many ways to get to the answer and then having students show how and why their answer works (or perhaps doesn't work) and making sure it works every time too. It isn't about just getting an answer and it being ok- which is possibly how the title may be understood now that I am reading this discussion. I agree with you Susan, in that we need to be sure the student is making a connection to the problem, the process, and what means to them. This is the idea behind the TIAN approach and Mary Jane's training involves training teachers to think this way also.

Ginny

NOTICE: This e-mail (and any attachments) may contain PRIVILEGED OR CONFIDENTIAL information and is intended only for the use of the specific individual(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is privileged and confidential under state and federal law. This information may be used or disclosed only in accordance with law, and you may be subject to penalties under law for improper use or further disclosure of the information in this e-mail and its attachments. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the person named above by reply e-mail, and then delete the original e-mail. Thank you.