[Numeracy 592] Re: Teaching math and numeracy skills to adults learning English

Chip Burkitt chip.burkitt at orderingchaos.com
Wed Oct 20 21:34:29 EDT 2010

When I taught basic math at Century College here in Minnesota, I
taught how to multiply multi-digit numbers. I used the algorithm I
learned as a child: write down partial products in staggered columns and
carry extra digits to the next column for adding. Most students were
already familiar with this method, although strings of zeroes in the
multiplicands tended to confuse them. However, one student from Russia
came to me after class and asked if he could use his the method he
learned in Russia. He showed it to me. (I wish I had written it down
because I can't remember it.) It took only a few moments reflection to
realize that his method would work just as well, so I gave him the go
ahead. The method was very different, but the outcome would always be
correct.

For students who struggle with the "standard" method of doing
multiplication, I sometimes explain an alternate method that involves
halving one multiplicand while doubling the other. After getting down to
1 on the first multiplicand, then you eliminate all the pairs (halved,
doubled) where the halved number is even. Summing the remaining doubled
numbers gives the correct answer. It basically uses binary arithmetic to
get partial products and then sum them.

For example:

37 x 82
18 164
9 328
4 656
2 1312
1 2624

82 + 328 + 2624 = 3034

Of course, for some problems this method can be cumbersome, and it
always pays to put the smaller number first. However, many students find
it easier to implement.

Chip Burkitt