[Numeracy 596] Re: Teaching math and numeracy skills to adultslearning English

Chip Burkitt chip.burkitt at orderingchaos.com
Fri Oct 22 16:12:36 EDT 2010

Well, that was cool! I had no idea that the method I've been teaching as
an alternative method had its roots in Ethiopia. I got it out of a
paperback book that I came across many years ago. I don't even remember
the name of the book, but I'm fairy certain that there was no mention of
Ethiopia. This was NOT the method used by the student from Russia. I'm
familiar with the Lattice method because it's what my own children
learned in school. I can't say I see an advantage to it over the
traditional method that relies on partial products in the base-10 system.

Chip Burkitt