[Numeracy 621] Re: Help with explanation of a problem

Chip Burkitt chip.burkitt at orderingchaos.com
Wed Dec 1 12:38:33 EST 2010

Here's what I come up with:

X when two more than this number and its square is 44. (Same answer,
although -7 also works.)

That would be quite a typo. As written, however, it's something like x +
y = 44 where y >= 2. In this case, x <= 42, and 6 is a possible answer
(if y = 38) but not a necessary one.

Another possibility:

X when two more than seven times this number is 44.

Chip