[ReadWrite 1798] Re: Academic Vocabulary

Tatyana Exum west_96 at mail.com
Mon May 30 14:56:55 EDT 2011

1. As far as the GED vocabulary is concerned, it's provided in the form of glossaries in each subject book (Math, Social Studies...). It seems to be the natural starting point for the instructors. However, it does not always seem to be the fact. We recently had a workshop which touched upon teaching vocabulary as a part of a lesson plan and found out that, except teaching vocabulary as lists of words or Word Wall, teachers are very limited in effective strategies.

2. The transfer of knowledge from one area to another is not the skill which comes easily to our adult students and it, IMO, should be taught.

3. Teacher's approach is one of the most significant factors, IMO, in this issue. Even students' motivation may majorily depend on it. We found out that those students. who are totally unmotivated to check out vocabulary words and state it pretty adamantly "I took my GED already and never saw those words there...". make a huge U-turn in their attitude when the see and understand how these words are applied to the test and how the knowledge of them may significantly change the outcomes.

Tatyana Exum
Lake City Correctional Facility