[ReadWrite 2479] Re: Writing assessments

Wrigley, Heide heide at literacywork.com
Fri Apr 13 12:10:18 EDT 2012

Hello Daphne and everyone.

I'm sorry I'm not answering your question but I wanted to highlight a new report featured in Education Week
http://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/curriculum/2012/04/computer_v_human_who_wins_the.html?cmp=ENL-EU-NEWS2

The study shows that automated computer scoring of essays is as reliable and accurate as scoring by a human. The study was funded by the Hewlett Foundation

I wonder to what extent the computer is able to take into account the special characteristics that tend to appear in the writing of non-native writers of English and weigh those differently than they might score the mistakes in grammar and structure made by native speakers of English

Best

Heide

Heide Spruck Wrigley
Literacywork International