[SpecialTopics 228] Re: college for inmates -- correspondenceprograms

Christine.Christopherson at state.sd.us Christine.Christopherson at state.sd.us
Thu Sep 21 10:18:40 EDT 2006

There are a few universities that still offer traditional paper/pencil correspondence courses that I recommend to the inmates in my facility. I actually wrote my Master's paper last summer on this very topic. There are not many options, and the OHIO program is expensive if the inmates does not have a funding source.

The University of Central Arkansas at Conway, AR offers many that are only $80 per credit hour. This is the least expensive that I have been able to find and have had about 4 inmates take courses over the summer this year from this institution. Good luck!

-----Original Message-----
From: specialtopics-bounces at nifl.gov
[mailto:specialtopics-bounces at nifl.gov]On Behalf Of Linton, John
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 6:51 AM
To: specialtopics at nifl.gov
Subject: [SpecialTopics 224] Re: college for inmates --
correspondenceprograms

Hi Eric

We're challenged to respond to a lot of inmate mail here also. There are a
number of new distance learning initiatives out there -- I'm frankly having
trouble keeping up with them -- but one that has been around for a while and
seems to be solid is a distance learning program at the Ohio University
called "College Program for the Incarcerated."
http://www.ohiou.edu/adultlearning/incarc.htm (There is an a mailing
address at this link where persons can send for an information packet.) The
program is oriented toward prisons -- does not require phone or internet
access. The only issue I've heard of with this program is the cost. Few
incarcerated persons have the financial resources to afford this program --
but some do.

John Linton