[Technology 793] Re: Update on One With One

David Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Tue Jan 2 11:52:19 EST 2007

Technology Colleagues,

I inadvertently sent a personal e-mail inquiry to the Technology list
last week. My questions (and miss-typed dates) may have left some
mistaken impressions about One WITH One that I would like to publicly
correct. When I saw that it had been posted I immediately emailed
Anita Webb and asked for a clarification. Co-director, Peg Van
Duyne, wrote me today with an update which I am glad to share. One
WITH One has had some impressive results over the years.

Peg wrote:

"Thank you for offering to send a second message to the NIFL list to
rectify the inadvertent email broadcast of a private question and a
potentially damaging claim that One WITH One is closed. I will take
you up on this for One WITH One’s reputation and for Anita’s and my
sake. Your correction can clarify our current corporate existence and
can affirm the contribution that One WITH One made to the profession
of workplace training and adult education in Boston for fifteen years
as Entrance: Office Careers.

Our record for 20 computer and language skills training cycles can be
viewed as one of the tops- for six cycles more than 78%- 95% of the
graduates competed for and were hired in training-related jobs and
for 14 cycles 100% were hired. 524 adult and young adult learners,
92% women and 8% men, graduated from this training. Some were
experienced professional business men from Africa. Others were
former military leaders from South Vietnam who had endured 15 years
of ‘re-education’ camps. Given the beginner-intermediate proficiency
in English with which our learners began the program, their
accomplishments demonstrate their will to enter a professional field,
starting over, and the strength of our training.

Success was not due to creaming- the majority came from circumstances
which disadvantaged their education. Some women came from The
Killing Fields, missing a literacy education in Khmer. Others came
from the middle east where the roman alphabet was unfamiliar. Other
women had been warehoused in public schools lacking any paper,
pencils and printing tools.

Your email states the proprietary school closed in 2004. ( the email
stated we closed in 1994- that’s a typo?). That’s so for the
computer and language skills training program: Entrance: Office
Careers. We also closed the volunteer tutor-mentoring program
Learning Partnerships which had brought together 3500 newcomers and
Americans to practice English conversation and enjoy intercultural
exchange. For 1 and 1/2 years One WITH One has been under the radar
screen in order to develop integrated publications.

In 2007 One WITH One will complete our ‘train-the-trainee’ and
‘train- the-trainer’ resources in educating and training adult
learners who want to enter college or office work.. Anita Webb and I
have edited a curriculum package dedicated to the beginner-
intermediate learner that integrates English for Speakers of other
languages, computer and business cultural training.

This was originally the training program called Entrance: Office
Careers, presented for twenty cycles and licensed by the Department
of Education for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as well as the
employment training system. Today we call the entire program
“Experiencing English.”

This is a summary of one unit of the total curriculum package.
The Workplace Internship as a Learning Experience.
1. Introduction to The Workplace Internship as a Learning
Experience.
2. Trainers’ Guide to Lessons that precede the unit so trainees/
adult learners gradually immerse themselves in business English and
cultural business practices to prepare for the internships.
3. Trainers’ Guide to administer the internships and coordinate
mentoring supervisors and HR employers willing to provide
internship sites.
4. Trainers’ Guide to Preparation Lessons so the trainees/adult
learners develop a vocabulary and a conceptual framework to learn and
gain experience in a corporate internship.
5. Trainees’ Workbook for Preparatory Lessons. Here we discuss
assessments and evaluations- assessments of one self as an internee,
of the supervisor and by the supervisor.
6. Trainers’ Guide for ‘preparation-for-the-internship” classes
and ‘post-internship-debrief’ classes for the internship and
Internship Journal.
7. Internship Journal to be handed out week by week by the
internship coordinator.
8. “Experiencing English” is a short paper to name and explain
our approach to adults who learn English in an immersion program.
9. Summary of the One WITH One Teaching Principles.
10. EFF comparables list."

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net