[Technology 911] Disucssion on Hand-Held Devices in the Classroom

Mariann Fedele MariannF at lacnyc.org
Wed Apr 4 10:37:22 EDT 2007

Dear Tech List Colleagues,

This is a reminder that the Technology list will be engaging in a
special discussion on the use of hand-held and portable
devices in the classroom beginning Tuesday, April 17th through Thursday,
April 19th. Marilyn Williams, an instructor who participated in a
practitioner research project on the use of hand-helds to support
student learning will join the tech list to share her three years of
experience in integrating this technology in to her classroom.

What questions or comments do you have that I can share with Marilyn in
advance of our discussion that will help inform what we discuss?

Please send responses to the list as a whole or to me off-list.

Regards,

Mariann

Following is a brief introduction that Marilyn asked me to share with
the list:

Bio: Hi there! My name is Marilyn Williams and I am a middle school
teacher in Eugene, Oregon. I've been involved with a number of research
projects through the University of Oregon and have enjoyed finding new
ways to incorporate technology into my classroom. Although I'm
definitely not a 'technie' I've been using handheld computers for the
last few years and have found them to be a fantastic way to boost
student involvement and learning.

Discussion: As educators, we are always striving to better meet the
needs of all our students. In my inclusion language arts/social studies
classes, I have found that using handhelds helped to do just that. I
was so excited to see how this technology motivated my students as well
as allowed them be more successful in their reading and writing. I'm
looking forward to discussing this technology application with you.

Mariann Fedele

Associate Director,

NYC Regional Adult Education Network

Literacy Assistance Center

Moderator,
NIFL Technology and Literacy Discussion List
32 Broadway 10th Floor
New York, New York 10004
212-803-3325
mariannf at lacnyc.org