[Technology 950] Re: Handheld discussion day 3

Marilyn Williams williams_ma at 4j.lane.edu
Thu Apr 19 15:10:45 EDT 2007

Hi Bonnie,
I'm disappointed to hear of the problems you've had with your Palm. Unfortunately, I really don't
know much about the different PDA type products on the market. The set I have were given to
me and I had no input into their selection. When using a program such as Inspiration which can
use quite a lot of screen space, I often have students switch to the outline mode where they can
hide or show subtopics and details. By doing this, they can focus on one area at a time. Also,
in the diagram mode, you can tell the Palm to fit the document to the screen. This will often
result in a screen which shows all the bubbles but makes it impossible to read the text as it's
gotten so small. When you tap on a bubble, the topic in that bubble is displayed at the top of
the screen. Certainly, it's not ideal and, sometimes, a larger screen will be better and then it
might be more beneficial to use a computer lab. So far, students seem to be able to work within
the constraints of the program.

When I said some students find writing 'painful', I was referring to the difficulty many of my
students seem to have with putting their thoughts down on paper. Sometimes, it's a
manipulation issue (holding a pencil correctly and staying within the lines). However, sometimes
it seems to be almost an emotional issue of being unwilling or perhaps, afraid, to share their
thoughts. Of course, I really don't know what's going on in my student's heads! The bottom
line, for me, has been that using the Palm seems to unlock many of my students' writing
capabilities and/or willingness to communicate in this way.

Thanks for your insight and comments,
Marilyn

Marilyn Williams
6th Grade Language Arts/Social Studies