[Technology 1050] Re: Online learning for students AND teachers

Wendy Quinones wbquinones at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 16:02:54 EDT 2007

Heidi and all,
I was not a little surprised to dicover that Heidi's five points applied
almost perfectly to the hybrid (f2f followed by online) PD course I just
facilitated. It makes me think that the online environment itself rather
than its users is what drives the design of best practice.

Having said that, I find that my ABE students are hampered by their low
typing skills (and their reluctance to spend time improving them) as much as
by low literacy, and that even when they have it, their equipment is likely
to be older and less reliable and they have fewer resources to call on if
something goes wrong. At higher levels, a generally low level of critical
thinking skills reduces their ability to understand what it is that they're
actually doing online -- the idea that all websites are not equal and that
they must be evaluated as to reliability, for example, is extremely
difficult to get across.

Still, students do enjoy working at computers. For many of them, it's a
reassurance that they are really part of the modern world. I have
primarily used them as in-class resources, although I do like to put
exercises and activities up on Quia for students to use both in and outside
of class. Whether they do use them outside is up for debate -- I think it
probably follows the same patterns as doing homework.

Wendy Quinones