[Technology 1051] Re: Online learning comments

Silver-Pacuilla, Heidi HSilver-Pacuilla at air.org
Mon Jun 11 22:26:17 EDT 2007

Thank you Wendy and Holly for posting such rich information about your programs. Typing skills is truly one of those hidden assets to technology use that you notice most in its absence. There are such usable practice sites and software (I like http://www.sense-lang.org/typing/ because you can paste in your own text and practice with it). It really is a pity that it is (I have found also) difficult to motivate students to invest time into improving their skills.

And Holly, you bring me back to reality with the adults who register but then cannot commit to regular attendance for all of the myriad reasons of modern adult life.

I think self-study and online delivery have potential to help these would-be students, but only if designers, developers, and intermediaries are realistic about equipment, skills, and adult interests.

Keep the comments coming! This is very very informative and helpful. Thanks - Heidi