[Technology 1065] FW: Kentucky Math

Burkett, Barry Barry.Burkett at Franklin.kyschools.us
Fri Jun 15 09:33:33 EDT 2007

Hey guys,

I know we focus on literacy, but recently I have been putting time into
researching numeracy as well. A student forwarded me this clip, it is
from a B&W television show, but I do not know its name.

2 things to focus on, first the creative way to solve the problem and
second the comments that came along with the e-mail.

On another path, the self-deprecating way these Kentuckians pass the
video around because it is funny, even though the tag is intentionally
labeled to degrade us, and give those outside of Kentucky a negative
view of Kentuckians... why do we intentionally set ourselves up to be
labeled ignorant?

And one more thing to notice, how dissimilar are the "incorrect"
mathemateers from our ABE students? In my experience it seems that it
is not that the majority of students do not know how to apply
information they know, it is that apply it incorrectly... early
misconceptions in both math and reading become amplified and detrimental
to the adult as they move through life.

Your thoughts?

Barry Burkett, Adult Educator
Thorn Hill Learning Center
Frankfort, KY
502.223.3110

"Computers are incredibly fast, accurate and stupid; humans are
incredibly slow, inaccurate and brilliant; together they are powerful
beyond imagination" - Albert Einstein

"While adult education should be viewed as a right, not as a stigmatized
second-chance program for those who have failed or dropped from out
school stystems, at the present time lifelong learning is only being
given lip service" (Askov, 2000, p. 259)