[Technology 1119] Re: Your advice

Tommy B. McDonell tbr202 at nyu.edu
Mon Jun 25 17:24:36 EDT 2007

oops. I apologize everyone. This email was supposed to just go to
Steve. Mea culpa. (please don't remove me from the list).

Tommy B. McDonell, Ph.D.
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Multilingual Multicultural Studies
Steinhardt School of Education
New York University
239 Greene Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10003

Home: 212-929-6768
Work: 212-242-6800 x 152
Cell: 917-514-1354
Email: tbr202 at nyu.edu

On Jun 25, 2007, at 4:47 PM, Tommy B. McDonell wrote:

> Hi. I think of this as simpler, if you are 'just' talking about an

> online class. With an online class, many schools or online centers

> require that you use their email and so a tutorial can be done that

> way. For example when my students use Blackboard.com, I create

> lessons for them on how to create an attachment, how to use the

> digital drop box (well I hate this drop box but for faculty who use

> it) etc.

> When I created an online class for Pace University, I had screen

> shots and step by step procedures for people to do every part of

> it. And this is what I see a good online program being.

> I'm going to write a friend of mine at the NYPL and see if they

> still have lessons that are in word format.

> Tommy B. McDonell, Ph.D.

> Adjunct Assistant Professor

> Multilingual Multicultural Studies

> Steinhardt School of Education

> New York University

> 239 Greene Street, 6th Floor

> New York, NY 10003

> Home: 212-929-6768

> Work: 212-242-6800 x 152

> Cell: 917-514-1354

> Email: tbr202 at nyu.edu

> On Jun 25, 2007, at 1:09 PM, Steve Quann wrote:

>> Tommy,

>> I think I have taken up enough cyberspace with this and so I think

>> after this I should probably take input off the list.

>> One dilemma is about email since each one is slightly different,

>> but I

>> guess the ideal would be helping students with the concept of not

>> only

>> signing up but using reply sending an attachment.

>> I am imagining this instruction be done all online for students

>> getting

>> ready to take a self-paced course. I guess behind all this to see if

>> there is a way that someone with basic mouse skills learn all they

>> need

>> to in order to do self-study. And if so, what sites are out there now

>> --trying to avoid reinventing the wheel ---that will best help

>> someone

>> move through this process.

>> Thanks all,

>> Steve Quann

>> World Education

>> 44 Farnsworth Street

>> Boston, MA

>> 617.482.9485

>> Steve when you say email what exactly are you looking for? Most email

>> accounts have directions. If you wanted a specific email account,

>> I can

>> design one pretty simply or may have one in PA. Also what do you want

>> for word processing, I can look for more. T

>> Tommy B. McDonell,Ph.D.

>> tbr202 at nyu.edu

>> Adjunct Assistant Professor,

>> Multilingual Multicultural Studies

>> New York University,635 East Building

>> 239 Greene St., New York, NY 10003

>> H: 212-929-6768

>> C: 917-514-1354

>> W: 212-242-6800 x 152

>>> send

>>> that to the list. So if there are any more suggestions let me

>>> know in

>>> the next day or so. There are a number on computer basics and about

>>> the Internet, but I don't see many on email. And there are only a

>>> couple on word processing. I am also looking for a flash-animated

>>> tutorial from Australia,I think it was.

>>> Thanks,

>>> Steve Quann

>>> World Education

>>> 44 Farnsworth Street

>>> Boston, MA

>>> 617.482.9485

>>> Hi Steve,

>>> Could you send me your list? I want to add some of the keyboard

>>> programs to the Literacy List.

>>> Thanks,

>>> David