[Technology 1209] Re: Prosessional Development Design & Development for the 21st Century

Mark Schlager mark.schlager at sri.com
Mon Aug 13 12:51:24 EDT 2007

David,
SL really is an amazing environment. It heralds the coming-of-age of
immersive 3D environment technology, and more importantly its
acceptance as a legitimate "learning" environment. In the not too
distant past, the forerunners of SL-- MUDs, MOOs, chat servers, IM,
and real-time graphical virtual gaming environments-- were either
ignored or rejected by the education establishment as places where
tech nerds, fantasy nuts, and deviates hung out. Many were blocked
by school firewalls and ISPs.

At the same time, I think it too soon to declare victory and settle
for what SL offers educators and students without some caution and
critical review. As a long-time researcher in this and other areas of
ed tech, I would caution against "over-the-top" advocacy that can be
interpretted as just more techie "hype." Education has seen tech
trends and fads come and go, and as a result, many educators and
policy makers look skeptically at the next new "silver bullet" the
techies are pushing.

One way to avoid these perceptions and counteract the nay-sayers is
to be appropriately self-critical in our advocacy of new
technologies. By all means, be excited and optimistic about SL, and
also point out the barriers and limitations, which, for SL, is a long
list. Before we send practitioners off into the "brave new virtual
world," we need to make clear the investment (and risks) in terms of
the time, effort, computing requirements, and new social norms just
to get started in SL. We need to look at and draw lesson from the
available research data to know under what conditions and for what
purposes 3DVR might be more appropriate or effective than other tools/
environments for learning (many of which you mention). For example,
many tout the lively discussions and knowledge sharing that go on in
SL. When one looks with a critical eye, however, it becomes apparent
that much, if not most, of that discourse takes place in plain
vanilla blogs and listservs that are not integrated with "in-world"
activities. Where is the real value for time spent?

Yes, the techies among us (including my research group) will leap at
the opportunity to experience the sheer innovation and compelling
immersion of SL. My concern is for the other 90% of busy education
professionals who are simply looking for ways to engage their
students and help them learn more effectively. For them, SL may be a
rather large leap (of faith) even 2 years from now. Perhaps we need
to advocate more *for* educators *to* vendors like Linden Labs, so
they build in more education-appropriate features, and less for the
vendors to the education community (vendors have marketing budget for
that). As a recognized authority with a bully pulpit, your voice can
amplify the voices of educators to influence developers to build the
features needed to move us toward the vision you describe.

Mark Schlager
Associate Director of Learning Communities
Center for Technology in Learning
SRI International
333 Ravenswood Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025
mark.schlager at sri.com
(p) 650-859-2881 (fax) 650-859-3673
ctl.sri.com www.tappedin.org www.cltnet.org

"Technology: It never leaves you alone"