[Technology 1233] Re: Homeland Security question

John Fleischman jfleischman at scoe.net
Sat Aug 25 21:21:28 EDT 2007

By most estimates, we're reaching less than 10% of the adults that need to
improve their literacy skills. With the rapid advancement of the Internet
and broadband connectivity, it may be possible to reach some of those
adults who are unwilling or unable to participate in face-to-face adult
education programs provided by public and not-for-profit entities. Yes,
the potential students' lack of computers and Internet access may be
problem, but it may not be as great as you think. Our initial research is
showing significant shifts in both access to computers and connectivity.

Is there reason to think that adults in need of literacy and English
language services would engage in independent learning? The Longitudinal
Study of Adult Learners (LSAL) provides strong evidence that as many as
65% of adults needing additional services engage in some form of
self-study (Reder & Strawn, 2006). While the LSAL does not specifically
address Web-based resources, a portal with a variety of content and
appropriate support structures should appeal to adults who have easy
access to the Web and are comfortable interacting with Web-based materials.

A comprehensive online resource could also serve as mechanism to increase
intensity of instruction in conjunction with traditional delivery systems.
If designed appropriately, the online resource could serve independent
learners as well as those "connected" to a tutor or teacher. The plan is
to have this new resource as an addition, not a replacement for our
current system.

John Fleischman

The Technology and Literacy Discussion List <technology at nifl.gov> on

"