[Technology 1235] Re: Homeland Security question

Matthias Sturm msturm at alphaplus.ca
Mon Aug 27 15:32:03 EDT 2007

Hi John and Debra

In Canada, we had the same questions coming into providing more online options for ABE learners starting in 2003. Over the course of the three years of the pilot project, we found out that the demographic of learners targeted and reached was quite different to the one of regular classroom-based or one-on-one literacy programs as the participating programs offered learners more flexibility in their learning options. >From a funding perspective that meant that the amount of learners to be serviced in the future for the same amount of funding is larger and more cost-effective options are needed, which in some cases online option can provide. Overall I think that by providing more flexibility to learners the quality of services has improved, also because it's more reflective of the demands in today's society re the use of learning technology. And it has helped to reach learners that were marginalized by not being able to attend regular programs in the past.

Matthias Sturm