[Technology 1252] Second Life in the News

David Collings david at collings.com
Fri Aug 31 00:38:09 EDT 2007

For all of you who are interested in the curious world of Second Life (SL), I
heard on a BBC radio report tonight (8/30/07) that they will be conducting a
live radio interview inside Second Life this coming Monday, September 3. From
the way the radio person talked, a roving reporter will be moving among the
avatars and asking questions.

I searched on both BBC and Second Life sites for a Sept. 3 broadcast time, but
could not find one. If anyone out there discovers more information, it might be
of interest to others on this list.

SL: http://secondlife.com
BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk

--------------
Concerning jobs and learning online:
Another interesting bit that I heard the BBC person say about SL -- IBM employs
over 100 people who work inside Second Life.

Here is a clip posted on the Scientific American site (linked from SL news):

"IBM launched its virtual Business Center in May with staff from North and Latin
America and Europe, to provide sales and support services for clients and
visitors in Second Life."
August 23, 2007
http://tinyurl.com/yvyoc9
---------

After reading the quote above, it doesn't surprise me that many other major
companies are setting up shop in SL as well. But here is a twist that I would
not have thought about:

"Armed with a $200,000 grant from the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission,
[Robert] Amme and his colleagues [at the University of Denver] are preparing to
build a nuclear reactor - in the virtual, online world of Second Life."
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2007/08/20/secondlife

I suppose all of this makes me feel that we owe our adult education clients a
chance to be guided safely into this funny new world.

David C.

David Collings
Technology Coordinator
Delaware ACE Network