[Technology 1255] Re: Second Life for Survivor class

Guckert-von Ehren, Denise A dg21 at txstate.edu
Fri Aug 31 12:03:27 EDT 2007

I think the arrival of Second Life is a reality that we need to accept
and understand, though I personally find it hard to embrace. I always
check out new technologies, and did so with Second Life. I was
incredibly frustrated and unsuccessful in achieving my goal, which was
to explore the interface. It is fascinating to me that I have such poor
skills (and patience) to use this software.

Second Life is not just a technology; it's a social culture with many
new rules to learn. You must interact with other people, who are
represented (disguised...) as their avatars, and depend on them for
help. While this is probably the aspect that makes Second Life so
popular, and so different than other technologies, I have no patience
for this kind of interaction and hate feeling dependent, either on
people or on help files. Since I was exploring Second Life for work
reasons only, not personal or entertainment value, I did not want to
deal with a new social network and "reality" navigation.

That being said, the whole issue of Second Life as it compares to people
entering new cultures, whether that be as an immigrant for study or work
reasons to the United States (or going from a culture of poverty to
middle class) is incredibly intriguing.