[Technology 1303] Technology Integration Self-Assessment - an Intro

Marian Thacher mthacher at otan.us
Mon Oct 1 14:43:49 EDT 2007

Greetings to All on the NIFL Technology List,

I appreciate the opportunity to communicate with all of you about the
AdultEd Online self-assessment tool that went live in September, the
Technology Integration Self-Assessment. I know some of you have had a
chance to check it out, and I'm interested to receive your feedback.

The idea behind this tool was to make it possible for any adult education
teacher anywhere to get online and take the self-assessment in order to
see what is involved in integrating technology in the classroom, and where
their strengths and weaknesses might lie.

In addition, completing the self-assessment leads to creating a
professional development plan the contains competencies to focus on,
learning strategies, online resources, and a timeline for completing
tasks. I think this model is very promising for professional development
in general, and I'm curious to see to what extent it gets used by teachers
and programs.

Just to give you a little background about the development, we started out
by researching what technology integration standards already exist, and
also looking at self-assessments. Most of these are from the K12 system
and from teacher preparation programs. Some are very detailed, and some
more minimal than ours. We tried to find a good balance between including
all important skills and keeping the self-assessment short enough to
complete in about 15 minutes.

http://cnets.iste.org/teachers/t_stands.html
The ISTE Ed Tech Standards for Teachers are probably the best known set of
standards. Although they are fairly general, there are many resources for
K12 teachers attached to them, such as sample activities and lesson plans.

http://21stcenturyschools.northcarolina.edu/technology/competencies.html
Here is an example from North Carolina of a very detailed list of possible
technology skills.

You will see that for AdultEd Online we chose a middle path, covering 12
competency areas, and addressing both personal and classroom skills where
appropriate. We also tried to provide examples where we thought that a
teacher might need to see an example of something like a class web site or
the use of an assistive technology.

Although the tool is designed for teachers, there is also an admin
section. If you create an administrator account, you can invite teachers
to take the self-assessment, keep track of who has completed it, and see
aggregated results for your program.

Do you think 15-20 minutes is reasonable for an online self-assessment? Do
you think teachers will use this tool on their own, or mainly if requested
by their program? What do you think are the best ways of letting people
know about this tool?

In my next messages I will address the 12 selected areas and reply to some
of the questions you have already posed.

Marian
Marian Thacher, OTAN
P.O. Box 269003
Sacramento, CA 95826-9003