[Technology 1321] What are your learning strategies?

Marian Thacher mthacher at otan.us
Wed Oct 3 15:46:01 EDT 2007

One interesting question raised by the online professional development
plan is - how do we learn new things? We created a list of learning
strategies based on the experience of the expert advisors and interviewing
a variety of teachers. On the form you can choose a strategy from the list
or add your own. The list includes:

- Self-study online: This is where all the resources the David and others
collected are listed, related to each competency. More and more I think we
go online when we want new information, or to answer a question, so we
started there.

- Read a book or journal article (Yes, we still read words printed on
paper, right?!)

- Attend a conference

- Subscribe to an electronic discussion list (Well, if you're reading this
email you already employ this strategy!)

- Find a tech buddy: A tech buddy is a friend or relative who is ahead of
you on the technology trail, the person you go to when you have a
technology question. If you don't have one, it's worth looking around for
one.

- Get a technology mentor: A mentor relationship would be a bit more
formal than with a tech buddy. You might decide to focus on a particular
topic with your mentor, and meet regularly a certain number of times. It
might be set up through a program or department rather than by an
individual on their own.

- Join or start a study circle: Since NCSALL started promoting study
circles as an effective way for teachers to learn, and began to develop
and disseminate materials for study circles, this has become a popular
approach to professional development. (See
http://www.ncsall.net/?id=25#teach)

- Use your state literacy resource center: States have adult basic skills
resource centers that offer a variety of professional development

- Take a course

- Take an online course

- Create or join a learning community: the description focuses on
web-based communities, but this could also be face-to-face

- Make integrating technology a teacher research project for yourself or
your students

- Other, add your own

Does this list cover it? Any comments on particular strategies? What are
you favorite learning strategies? How have your strategies changed over
the last five years?

Marian
Marian Thacher, OTAN
P.O. Box 269003