[Technology 1324] Free Online Resource

Kelly Potter Markham kelly at gcflearnfree.org
Thu Oct 4 09:55:11 EDT 2007

Good morning,

My name is Kelly Potter and I work for a free, online training website,
GCFLearnFree.org. We are a free program b/c we are funded by Goodwill
Industries of Eastern NC. Our goal is to provide learning opportunities for
people so they can acquire the skills they need to be succeed. I've been
reading this discussion list for about a year now, but have never posted
before. I'm excited that now I have some worth posting about!

Since 1999 GCFLearnFree.org has offered free computer training online. This
training includes topics such as Open Office, Computer Basics, Internet
Basics, and Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Publisher. We're
currently in the process of revitalizing our computer training curriculum to
include video lessons along with our text-based lessons.

Just this week we launched a new project, which we call Everyday Life. It is
geared toward adult basic education, ESL students, and learners that need to
acquire functional literacy skills. Some of our initial lessons include how
to use an ATM, complete a bank deposit slip, use bus maps, and complete a
job application. Our interactive lessons are not intended to teach
vocabulary and reading skills, but rather to provide learners with a safe
environment where they can practice new skills without real-world
consequences and the fear of failure. Our goal with these lessons was to
create a realistic environment that learners would relate to. Some of the
lessons are intentionally easy, and we will be adding lessons in the future
to increase the difficulty level.

So far, we've used local literacy centers as a resource and as a source of
user testing. If you have a moment, please take a look at our Everyday Life
curriculum and let me know what you think. You do have to create an account
on our website to view the lessons; however, it is free and the only
personal information we ask is your email address. We don't share your
information with others and we'll only send you information about the site
if you opt-in for the newsletter.

Please post your thoughts to the list, or you can email me directly at
kelly at gcflearnfree.org. I'm interested in any feedback you have about our
Everyday Life project and hope that it will be a resource you can use with
your learners.

Thank you,

Kelly Potter

www.GCFLearnFree.org

The freedom to learn what you want, when you want, absolutely free!

321 W. Hargett Street

Raleigh, NC 27601