[Technology 1339] Re: Thanks to all of you!

Marian Thacher mthacher at otan.us
Fri Oct 5 15:57:01 EDT 2007

Thank you for the opportunity, Mariann, it's certainly been my pleasure to
communicate with the list about this project.

It's been kind of a quiet week on the list until today, but I know you're
all out there, so thanks for "listening." There have been 306 accounts
created on the technology self-assessment in the last month. The big
states are the biggest participants - CA, AZ, TX, FL, NY and OH. Clearly
Arizona, for it's population, is very active in the technology arena, and
37 Arizona teachers have created accounts. Outside the US, Canada has 9,
and Bulgaria has 1! But the fact that there are 2 or 3 accounts from many
other states, 36 states in all, tells me that you're out there checking
out the resources. I hope you find them useful.

I will be happy to receive your feedback, on list or off, at any time over
the next year. We have heard from a couple of states that are thinking of
adopting this tool statewide, and perhaps there will be more.

I appreciate the opportunity that Mariann and NIFL have provided us to let
you know about AdultEd Online and the self-assessments.

The next big project from AdultEd Online will be a learner portal - a Web
site where low literacy learners and English learners, in programs or not,
can find instruction to meet their needs. This project is in the design
phase right now, with plans to go live in the fall of 2008. The prototype
will contain learning materials in three areas: a beginning-level English
course, a mid-level English course, and activities for improving reading,
writing and life skills. You'll be hearing more about this in the coming
months.

Thank you again, and I wish you all the best in the coming year,
Marian
Marian Thacher, OTAN
P.O. Box 269003
Sacramento, CA 95826-9003