[Technology 1353] Send your students a phone message, yourself a reminder, or....

David J. Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Mon Oct 15 12:24:15 EDT 2007

Technology colleagues,

Suppose there were a free service that enabled you -- from a cell
phone or a land line -- to send up to a 30-second voice message to
yourself, or to anyone you had listed in an address book that you had
created for this purpose. Suppose your students could send messages
this way, too, from their phones. Suppose when you called the toll-
free number (U.S. and Canada only) it said "Hi (your name), who do
you want to send a message to? " Suppose you then said the person's
name (or "me" for sending yourself reminders). Then, suppose you
spoke your brief message. Then, in a few minutes, suppose the message
were sent to an e-mail address (as a translated text message, with a
"real voice" audio option) or as an SMS text message. Suppose, also,
that you could set up a group of people, and whenever you wanted to,
you could send them all one voice/text/email message. (Suppose this
group were all the students in your class, or all the instructors at
your program, who have either a land line or cell phone.)

Such a free service exists. (There may be more than one, but I only
know of one.) If you would like to know what it is, here's the catch:
you have to email me (djrosen at comcast.net) at least one idea of how
you would use this with students. Then I will email you the URL for
the free service. I am not promoting this service particularly
(although I do think it could be useful.) What I am trying to do is
to use the collective intelligence, imagination and experience of
subscribers on this list to collect ideas about how to use such a
technology. I will compile whatever I get and send a summary back to
this list.

If you want to know the Web address, send me -- not the Technology
list -- your idea(s) about how to use this service with your basic
literacy, ESOL, ABE, ASE, or college transition students, students --
in a face-to-face or on-line setting.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net