[Technology 1359] Role reversals for older adults acquiring technology skills

Mary Alice Jackson mjackson23 at student.gsu.edu
Fri Oct 26 13:45:58 EDT 2007

I'm interested in any research that has been conducted looking at role reversals with older adults learning to use technology. Traditionally, we have seen adults teaching children whether in formal settings or informal settings. With technology (VCR, DVD players, digital cameras, cell phones, computers, etc.), we often see the reverse i.e., children are teaching adults. I've observed this with a number of family and friends over 50 (including myself sometimes). A 65-year old friend of mine asked me a question about a new cell phone she recently purchased and shared with me that Kristen (a 12 or 13-year old) had set it up for her. During one season of American Idol, I called a friend of mine to ask her how to text my vote in. She replied, "I don't know. I have my 12-year old nephew do it for me!"

So, with that said, has anyone come across research conducted in this area? Thanks.

Mary
Mary