[Technology 1362] Re: Role reversals for older adultsacquiringtechnology skills

Lively, Jim livelyj at cochise.edu
Sat Oct 27 09:51:56 EDT 2007

Yeah, good for all of us more experienced folks! I'll be 60 next year and am having the time of my life watching my 5-year old daughter perform her computer magic. She informed me a couple of months ago that she needed a new mouse, something smaller that would fit her hand better. I took her to Offfice Max and she picked out the one she wanted. She just zips around the desktop with her little mouse, opens, expands, zips, and zaps. She hasn't learned the right-click finctions, yet. Guess that will come with time.
Her kindergarten class goes to the computer lab once a week and they are all getting with the technology. So much so that she came to me a short time back asking for a faster computer. She also informed me that she'd really like a digital camera because it takes too long to get the pictures back from her (pink, Princess) 35mm camera. Sweet and wonderful.
I have read about these "Digital natives" for a couple of years, but it didn't really hit home 'til I watched my own little one do her thing. I know I'll find it impossible staying ahead of her. Just hope I can keep up with her for a few more years.
Jim