[Technology 1427] Re: topics and guests for 2008

David J. Rosen djrosen at comcast.net
Fri Dec 21 08:12:44 EST 2007

Hi Marianne,

Here are some topics I would like to to have us discuss in 2008

1. The potential of the XO (The so-called $100 computer, actually
$188) and other inexpensive laptops for students and self-study
learners in adult and family literacy programs. For example, is the
xo "mesh networking" useful to adult literacy programs where students
need to be connected in a community of learners?

2. Open Office and other Linux-based free software. Are adult
literacy programs using these applications? If so, how?

3. Classroom videos. Is pioneer Barry Burkett alone on the new
digital video-in-the-classroom frontier, or are other adult education
teachers also video-ing their classes, and other teachers' classes?
Let's see and talk about some of these videos? How are they being
used? How could they be used?

4. Integrating technology in the classroom. I would like to hear
from teachers who believe they are doing this. What's the this --
what technology/ies do you integrate, and how? How did you learn to
do this?

5. New technologies. What new or improved technologies do you think
have promise for adult literacy education? How would you like to see
them used?

6. Student-made slide shows (PowerPoints) . Let's see some good
student examples that are posted on the Web. What was the process for
making them? What have teachers and students learned about making
good slide shows? How are slide shows being used (for demonstration
of attainment of content? For project-based learning? For
disseminating information in a community? For other reasons?

Happy new year, all.

David J. Rosen
djrosen at comcast.net