[Workplace 1935] Re: Thursday Resources (green jobs)

Kathy Olson kolson at uway.org
Fri Aug 14 11:11:44 EDT 2009

Excellent!! Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: workplace-bounces at nifl.gov [mailto:workplace-bounces at nifl.gov] On Behalf Of Franz, Valerie C (DOCS)
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 11:59 AM
To: The Workplace Literacy Discussion List
Subject: [Workplace 1934] Re: Thursday Resources (green jobs)

This is great! Thank you.

-----Original Message-----
From: workplace-bounces at nifl.gov [mailto:workplace-bounces at nifl.gov] On
Behalf Of Brian, Dr Donna J G
Sent: Monday August 10, 2009 23:24 PM
To: The Workplace Literacy Discussion List
Subject: [Workplace 1932] Thursday Resources (green jobs)

Workplace Literacy Discussion List Members,

One of the comments made when we were discussing the balance between
time spent coming up with Thursday Resources and time spent in actual
discussion was that resources would be more useful if they were
organized and presented in categories. I decided to try to make a
summary of the Green Jobs resources that we have had recommended through
our discussion in the last week, and I have also included the resources
that were included in the summary of the Green Jobs Discussion on the
Special Topics List from last April. You will notice that there are not
any resources that haven't already been suggested in this list, but they
have been brought together in one place and I am including a short
abstract with each. I can see that this is more helpful than having to
down side is that it takes a lot more time. Again, we are trying to
find the right balance here. Let me know what you think.

Donna

PS This is a long list in itself, and it will be the only Thursday
Resources you will receive for this week and also for last week.

Donna Brian
Moderator, LINCS Workplace Literacy Discussion List
Off-list contact djgbrian at utk.edu

workplace at nifl.gov

To subscribe/unsubscribe/change options/access archives:

>From Finding Earth Works http://www.findingearthworks.org/index.htm

"Connecting adult learners to their role in the green economy"
This website offers an excellent overview of the green economy
and how and why adult learners should be interested and involved in it.
http://www.findingearthworks.org/green.htm

>From the Center for American Progress and the Political Economy

Research
Institute (PERI) http://www.peri.umass.edu and
http://www.americanprogress.org

"Green Recovery: A Program to Create Good Jobs and Start Building a
Low-Carbon Economy"
This report outlines a green economic recovery program that
could create about 2 million new jobs within the U.S. economy over two
years. This program can also help to stabilize the price of oil, and
would help jumpstart a wide range of new investment initiatives that can
effectively fight global warming and build a clean energy economy in the
United States.
http://www.peri.umass.edu/fileadmin/pdf/other_publication_types/peri_rep
ort.pdf

"Green Recovery: State by State"
This report expands the above resource giving an impact
statement on jobs for each state. The report shows that the vast
majority of the two million jobs would be in the same areas of
employment that people already work in today, in every region and state
of the country. For example, constructing wind farms creates jobs for
sheet metal workers, machinists and truck drivers, among many others.
Increasing the energy efficiency of buildings through retrofitting
requires roofers, insulators and building inspectors. Expanding mass
transit systems employs civil engineers, electricians, and dispatchers.
http://www.peri.umass.edu/fileadmin/pdf/other_publication_types/green_ec
onomics/tennessee.pdf

>From the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency http://www.pca.state.mn.us

"EE Resources for multi-cultural education"
These workbooks and resources on environmental issues are
intended for use with English as a second language and limited English
proficiency classes. Intermediate and advanced levels are included and
there is a teaching guide.
http://www.pca.state.mn.us/oea/publications/esl-rrr-tutor.pdf

>From Green For All http://www.greenforall.org/

"Greener Pathways: Jobs and Workforce Development in the Clean Energy
Economy"
Greener Pathways details current economic and workforce
development opportunities in three leading industries: energy
efficiency, wind, and biofuels. The report also examines federal
resources that can support state green jobs initiatives, and concludes
by outlining a plan of action for state policymakers.
http://www.greenforall.org/resources/greener-pathways-jobs-and-workforce
-development-in

"Green Jobs Guidebook"
The Green Jobs Guidebook is a resource for California job
seekers, students, guidance counselors, career advisors, policy makers
and anyone else interested in knowing about the tremendous potential of
California's existing and growing green jobs marketplace. The Guidebook
includes job descriptions, salary information, minimum education
requirements, potential certifications, employer types, job market
growth potential. Though focused on California, it provides some of the
most detailed information on jobs and training needed.
http://www.greenforall.org/resources/green-jobs-guidebook

"Oakland Green Jobs Corp Fights Poverty, Pollution"
This is an article about an Oakland, CA green job training
program in progress. It was created by the Oakland Apollo Alliance
(convened by the Ella Baker Center and IBEW). They have partnered with
Laney Community College and Cypress Mandela to train people in green
jobs. Laney College provides training in soft skills and Cypress Mandela
provides training in hard skills - e.g. solar installation, how to read
blue prints, etc.
http://www.greenforall.org/resources/oakland-green-jobs-corp-fights-pove
rty-pollution

See
http://www.greenforall.org/resources/people-programs/green-jobs/folder_s
ummary_view?b_start:int=0&-C= for a list of resources and case studies
on the Green For All website.

>From Greener World Media, Inc. http://www.greenerworldmedia.com/brands

"GreenBiz.com"
This is a website for business and industry promoting itself as
"the leading resource on how to align environmental responsibility with
business success." The site provides a great overview of what is
happening in the business world in terms of green. It is important to
keep track of these trends as practitioners think about green job
training programs.
http://www.greenbiz.com/resources#reports

>From The NEED Project http://www.need.org/

"The mission of the National Energy Education Development
Project is to promote an energy conscious and educated society by
creating effective networks of students, educators, business, government
and community leaders to design and deliver objective, multi-sided
energy education programs."
http://www.need.org/needpdf/infobook_activities/SecInfo/GlobalS.pdf

"NEED Energy Infobooks"
On this website are curricular resources and activities about
each of the nation's energy resources, new technologies, and the use and
conservation of energy for varying age levels plus curricula and other
resources for educators and students.
http://www.need.org/EnergyInfobooks.php

>From the U.S. Department of Energy: Energy Efficiency & Renewable

Energy
http://www.energysavers.gov/

"Renewable Energy"
Here are links to separate resources developed to provide
consumers with more information about energy efficiency and renewable
energy technologies. There are sections on Biomass energy, Geothermal
energy, Hydrogen, Hydropower, Ocean energy, Solar energy, and Wind
energy.
http://www.energysavers.gov/renewable_energy/

"Your Home"
Practical information about saving energy including separate
sections on Apartments, Appliances and Electronics, Design and
Remodeling, Electricity, Energy Audits, Insulation and Air Sealing,
Landscaping, Lighting and Daylighting, Space Heating and Cooling, Water
Heating, and Windows, Doors and Skylights.
http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home

On YouTube
"Peak Oil - How Will You Ride the Slide?"
Animated YouTube cartoon video provides great visual perspective
on what peak oil is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulxe1ie-vEY

>From Dr. Holmes Hummel http://www.holmeshummel.net

"Climate Policy Design: Options & Opportunities"
This is a "fast course in climate policy design series for
professionals, policy analysts, and public interest advocates whose work
is affected by federal climate policy design and how it relates to both
international and state level negotiations."
http://www.holmeshummel.net/ClimatePolicyDesign/

>From the U.S. Green Building Certification Institute

http://www.gbci.org/

"LEED Green Associate Candidate Handbook" (Valid for August 2009)
The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green
Building Rating System is a third-party certification program and the
nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation
of high performance green buildings. Information in this Handbook
represents current policies and procedures for a LEED professional
credentialing exam. The handbook is heavy on policies, procedures, and
consequences of the exam itself such as eligibility standards, exam
standards, fees, and guidelines with less emphasis on the exam content.
http://www.gbci.org/ShowFile.aspx?DocumentID=3571

"Top 10 Ways to Use Recovery Funds for Green Building"
Examples and helpful links are provided for each of the
following:
1. Invest in Healthy Schools and Reinvest in our Children and our Future
2. Build or Expand Residential Energy Retrofit Programs
3. Make Affordable Housing more Efficient and Affordable
4. Demonstrate Leadership by Example - Greening Public Sector Buildings
5. Maximize Efficiency in the Business Community
6. Build Capacity through Education and Training
7. Leverage and Extend Recovery Dollars with a Revolving Loan Fund
8. Get Buildings on the Right Track - Retro-Commission your Buildings
9. Make Informed Energy Resource Management Decisions through Metering
10. Greening Piece-by-Piece - Laying the Groundwork for Future Holistic
Measures
https://www.usgbc.org/ShowFile.aspx?DocumentID=5602

[Note from Donna: There are a lot of green job online courses and in
person courses for sale or referenced through the U.S. Green Building
Certification Institute site. I am not including those links on this
list, but you can go to the site http://www.gbci.org/ and easily find
them.]

>From California Government Employment Development Department

http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/?pageid=1032

"Green Analyses of Occupations and Industries"
http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/article.asp?articleid=1229

"Greening of the World of Work: Implications for O*NET-SOC and New and
Emerging Occupations"
This report summarizes the recent research to investigate the
impact of green economy activities and technologies on occupational
requirements in an effort to determine their impact on current O*NET-SOC
occupations and to identify new and emerging (N&E) occupations that may
be considered as potential candidates for inclusion in the O*NET-SOC
system. The report is organized in three sections. Section I describes
the occupational
implications of the green economy and its associated activities and
technologies. Section II focuses on important occupational staffing
implications within different sectors of the green economy. Section III
describes the methodology and results of this research, including
identification of current O*NET-SOC occupations impacted by the green
economy and specific green economy N&E occupational candidates.
http://www.onetcenter.org/dl_files/Green.pdf

>From Alternative Energy.Com http://www.alternativeenergy.com/

"How To Get a Green Job"
This is actually a blog, but it has several links to green job
search sites [Note from Donna - I didn't check these out except to see
that the links were live.]
Ellen Weinreb's Job Search Sites
http://www.ellenweinreb.com/Sustainability_Jobs.html
AlternativeEnergy.com's Green Job Listings
http://www.alternativeenergy.com/jobs
Environmental Career Center
http://www.environmentalcareer.info/index.asp
Environmental Career Opportunities http://www.ecojobs.com/
Green Energy Jobs http://www.greenenergyjobs.com/
Greenjobs http://www.greenjobs.com/public/index.aspx

>From various government sources

"Preparing the Workers of Today for the Jobs of Tomorrow"
This report, prepared for the U.S. Conference of Mayors,
projects that green jobs will continue to grow faster than those within
the U.S. economy as a whole in the coming years. The report examines
environment-related jobs growth among engineers, technicians and
scientists and finds that such jobs grew faster than other occupations
between 2000 and 2006 and projected fast relative growth through 2016.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/assets/documents/Jobs_of_the_Future.pdf

"Current and Potential Green Jobs in the U.S. Economy"
This study measures how many direct and indirect jobs are in the
emerging U.S. green economy. Currently, the economy generates more than
750,000 green jobs and is projected to create 4.2 million green jobs
over the next 30 years. Economic opportunities for the green building
sector are also outlined in this report.
http://www.usmayors.org/pressreleases/uploads/GreenJobsReport.pdf

>From United Nations Environment Programme http://www.unep.org

"Green Jobs: Towards decent work in a sustainable, low-carbon world"
This report assembles evidence - quantitative, anecdotal, and
conceptual - for currently existing green jobs in key economic sectors
(renewable energy, buildings and construction, transportation, basic
industry, agriculture, and forestry) and presents projections for green
jobs around the world. Energy-efficiency measures in the building
sector, notably green building and retrofitting, are highlighted as
primary drivers in the growing green economy.
http://www.unep.org/labour_environment/PDFs/Greenjobs/UNEP-Green-Jobs-Re
port.pdf

>From the American Solar Energy Society http://www.ases.org/

"Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency: Economic Drivers for the 21st
Century"
This is a study on the current and future state of the renewable
energy and energy efficiency industries in the United States. The report
found that 40 million Americans could be employed in these industries by
2030, generating $4.53 trillion in annual revenue.
http://www.ases.org/images/stories/ASES-JobsReport-Final.pdf

>From YouthBuild USA http://www.youthbuild.org

"Green Initiative"
YouthBuild is a DOL-funded program for disconnected youth (ages
16-24) that offers concurrent GED and vocational training, traditionally
in the construction sector. The Green Initiative was launched in 2005
with a mission to support YouthBuild programs in embracing green
building and environmental stewardship as an integral part of the
YouthBuild pathway out of poverty and the development of its young
leaders. The Green Initiative provides YouthBuild programs with
technical assistance, training, funding, and other supports that assist
YouthBuild programs address global warming, environmental justice, and
the rising costs of energy in ways that provide youth with employment
and community service opportunities in addition to providing
families-in-need with more affordable and healthy housing.
http://www.youthbuild.org/site/c.htIRI3PIKoG/b.1986845/

"YouthBuild: one stimulus model"
This is a report on one YouthBuild green initiative project in
Cambridge, Mass.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0313/p03s02-usec.html

Many of the following resources were included in last week's Thursday
Resources, but I am repeating them here so that all the green jobs
resources will be in one list.

>From the National Association of Workforce Boards http://www.nawb.org

"Bringing Home the Green Recovery: A User's Guide to the 2009 American
Recovery & Reinvestment Act"
http://www.nawb.org/portals/0/Resource%20Center/BringingHometheGreenReco
very.pdf

"Green Industries & Jobs in California"
http://www.nawb.org/portals/0/Resource%20Center/California%20Emerging_Gr
een_09.pdf

"2008 Washington State Green Economy Jobs"
http://www.nawb.org/portals/0/Resource%20Center/Washington%20State%20Gre
en%20Jobs%20Report.pdf

Training and Employment Notice No. #44-08
This notice describes the Employment and Training
Administration's initial plans for awarding green job training funds
under the Recovery Act so that interested organizations can begin to
plan for the application process and can strengthen or build
partnerships to be successful applicants.
http://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/corr_doc.cfm?DOCN=2755

Green Job Grants Announced

A total of five RFP's have been announced. Four of the competitions are
designed to serve workers in need of training through various national,
state and community outlets: Energy Training Partnership Grants;
Pathways Out of Poverty Grants; State Energy Sector Partnership and
Training Grants; and Green Capacity Building Grants. The fifth
competition, for State Labor Market Information Improvement Grants, will
fund state workforce agencies that will collect, analyze and disseminate
labor market information and develop labor exchange infrastructure to
direct individuals to careers in green industries.

Grants awarded through this competition will be funded through the
American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (Recovery Act). In an
effort to earn the maximum return on each investment, the Labor
Department is encouraging grantees funded through these competitions to
align their work with other federal agencies' Recovery Act investments
intended to create jobs and promote economic growth. Programs funded
through these SGAs will be conducted in partnership with the public
workforce system in order to prepare workers to enter careers in
targeted industries.

SGA 1 - State LMI Research
Summary http://www.nawb.org/portals/0/GreenSummary1.pdf
SGA http://www.nawb.org/portals/0/GreenSGA1.pdf
SGA 2 - Energy Training Partnerships
Summary http://www.nawb.org/portals/0/GreenSGA1.pdf
SGA http://www.nawb.org/portals/0/GreenSGA2.pdf
SGA 3 - Pathways Out of Poverty
Summary http://www.nawb.org/portals/0/GreenSummary3.pdf
SGA http://www.nawb.org/portals/0/GreenSGA3.pdf
SGA 4 - State Energy Sector Partnerships
Summary http://www.nawb.org/portals/0/GreenSummary4.pdf
SGA http://www.nawb.org/portals/0/GreenSGA4.pdf
SGA 5 - Green Capacity Building
Summary http://www.nawb.org/portals/0/GreenSummary5.pdf
SGA http://www.nawb.org/portals/0/GreenSGA5.pdf

Additional information in a different format:

DOL has posted five Notices of Availability of Funds and Solicitations
for Grant Applications (SGAs). These items are issued under the American
Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA or Recovery Act). They
address "green jobs" training and labor market information (LMI).

Energy Training Partnership Grants. Funding Opportunity Number (FON):
SGA/DFA PY 08-18. CFDA Number: 17.275.
services in the energy efficiency and renewable energy industries for:
Workers impacted by national energy and environmental policy, people who
need updated training in the energy efficiency and renewable energy
industries, and unemployed workers. The grants will involve strategic
partnerships.

Estimated funding: $100 million total for 20-30 projects, award range:
$2 million to $5 million

Eligible applicants: Private nonprofit organizations; there are two
categories: (1) National labor-management organizations with local
networks; or (2) Statewide or local nonprofit partnerships. Applicants
are expected to partner with labor organizations, employers, Workforce
Investment Boards (WIBs), and other organizations as defined in section
171(e)(2)(B)(ii) of the Workforce Investment Act (WIA).

Bidders' Webinar: July 13 at 2:00 ET. Access information will be posted
at http://www.workforce3one.org.

Deadline: September 4

Link to Federal Register posting: June 24, pp. 30152-30165
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-14924.pdf

"Green Capacity Building Grants" FON: SGA/DFA PY-08-21. CFDA Number:
17.275.
training programs for the country's expanding green industries. The
grants support capacity building for organizations to provide training
for entry-level positions leading to career pathways and/or additional
training in the energy efficiency and renewable energy industries
described in Section 171(e)(1)(B) of WIA.

Estimated funding: $5 million total for 50-100 awards, award range:
$50,000 to $100,000

Eligible applicants: Current grantees in several programs listed in Part
III of the SGA, at the link below

Bidders' Webinar: Pre-recorded Webinar: July 10 by 3:00 ET at
http://www.workforce3one.org

Deadline: August 5

Federal Register: June 24, pp. 30165-30174
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-14920.pdf

"Pathways Out of Poverty" FON: SGA/DFA PY 08-19. CFDA Number: 17.275.
to provide pathways out of poverty and into employment in "green"
industries, described in the Supplementary Information, Part B of the
SGA, at the link below.

Estimated funding: $150 million total; award range: $3 million to $8
million for national grantees, and $2 million to $4 million for local
grantees

Eligible applicants: National nonprofit entities with networks of local
affiliates, and local entities

Bidders' Webinar: July 14, at 2:00 ET. Access information will be posted
at: http://www.workforce3one.org

Deadline: September 29

Federal Register: June 24, pp. 30138-30152
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-14928.pdf

"State Energy Sector Partnership (SESP) & Training Grants" FON: SGA/DFA
PY-08-20. CFDA Number: 17.275.
such as energy efficiency and renewable energy. DOL encourages a
strategic planning process that aligns the Governor's overall workforce
vision, State energy policies, and local and regional training
activities that lead to employment in targeted industry sectors.

Estimated funding: $190 million total, range of awards: $2 million to $6
million

Eligible applicants: State Workforce Investment Boards

Bidders' Webinar: Pre-recorded Webinar: July 10 by 3:00 ET at:
http://www.workforce3one.org

Deadline: October 20

Federal Register: June 24, pp. 30114-30128
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-14922.pdf

"State Labor Market Information Improvement Grants" FON: SGA/DFA PY
08-17. CFDA Number: 17.275.
labor market information (LMI), and to enhance the labor exchange
infrastructure for careers in the energy efficiency and renewable energy
industries described in the Supplementary Information, Part B of the
SGA, at the link below.

Estimated funding: $50 million total, range of awards: State grants:
$750,000 to $1.25 million, consortia grants: $2 million to $4 million

Eligible applicants: State workforce agencies and consortia

Bidders' Webinar: Pre-recorded Webinar: July 10 by 3:00 ET at:
http://www.workforce3one.org

Deadline: August 14

Federal Register: June 24, pp. 30128-30138
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-14930.pdf

Related DOL press release on the solicitations: June 24
http://www.workforceatm.org/articles/template.cfm?results_art_filename=g
reenjobssga.htm

http://www.nifl.gov/mailman/listinfo/workplace
Email delivered to valerie.franz at docs.state.ny.us