[Workforce 2057] Thursday Resources on WIA

Brian, Dr Donna J G djgbrian at utk.edu
Thu Jan 7 12:54:42 EST 2010

Greetings, Workforce list members,

In preparation for our discussion next week, I have pulled together all
the Thursday Resources that have been on past Thursday Resources lists
that have anything to do with the Workforce Investment Act. Some are
policy pieces, some are how various states have used and applied their
WIA funds, some relate how the current WIA funds can be used more
flexibly to meet current needs under the American Recovery and
Reinvestment Act (ARRA). You will find them in the usual Thursday
Resources format below the dividing lines.

A resource I have not mentioned before is my current recommendation for
providing background on the Workforce Investment Act in general, and
that is the Workforce Alliance explanation at
http://www.workforcealliance.org/site/c.ciJNK1PJJtH/b.1063889/k.C0A2/WIA
.htm . Their overview at
http://www.workforcealliance.org/atf/cf/%7B93353952-1DF1-473A-B105-7713F
4529EBB%7D/2BB%20Chpt_1.pdf deals specifically with Title I-Workforce
Investment Systems For Adults, Dislocated Workers, and Youth. The
summary of Title II, Adult Education and Family Literacy Act, is at
http://www.workforcealliance.org/atf/cf/%7B93353952-1DF1-473A-B105-7713F
4529EBB%7D/2BB%20Chpt_6.pdf . I don't think it is necessary to read
these documents before the discussion, but thought I ought to provide
them for those of you who would like them. I'm sure many of you are
quite familiar with the current legislation and how it affects your
program, and are more than ready to provide your ideas about how the
reauthorization of the WIA could be improved. Am I right in thinking
that many of you are funded by either Title I or Title II of the WIA?

I also wanted to say that we have added over 50 new subscribers to our
list since Christmas, and I look forward to the interaction of "new" and
"old" members as we seek to shape our thoughts about how the WIA can be
improved to meet the current and future needs of the adult worker
population.

Donna

Donna Brian

Moderator, LINCS Workforce Competitiveness Discussion List

Off-list contact djgbrian at utk.edu <mailto:djgbrian at utk.edu>

workplace at nifl.gov <mailto:workplace at nifl.gov>

To subscribe/unsubscribe/change options/access archives:

Using the Workforce Investment Act to Develop and Foster Innovative
State Workforce Policies and Programs (Working Poor Families Project)
http://www.workingpoorfamilies.org/pdfs/WPFP_policy_brief_summer08.pdf
<http://www.workingpoorfamilies.org/pdfs/WPFP_policy_brief_summer08.pdf>

Charting New Territory: Early Implementation of the Workforce Investment
Act
Charting New Territory is an examination of implementation of the
Workforce Investment Act through the eyes of public officials in five
cities. Though the strategies being pursued in each city vary, the
report documents local officials' shared concerns about the difficulty
of getting genuine cooperation from mandated partners, the challenges
posed by WIA's data collection and performance requirements, and the
frustration inherent in a transition from one system to another, while
continuing to provide services. It concludes with several lessons on
what will be needed to make WIA more effective.
http://www.ppv.org/ppv/publications/assets/89_publication.pdf
<http://www.ppv.org/ppv/publications/assets/89_publication.pdf>

Congressional Action Needed to Ensure Low-Income Adults Receive Critical
Employment and Training Services under the Workforce Investment Act
This publication highlights the declining share of low-income and
lower-skilled individuals receiving services under the Workforce
Investment Act (WIA) Adult program since its enactment. In 2006, just
over half of Adult exiters receiving intensive or training services were
low-income, down from 84 percent in 2000. The publication also provides
an analysis of the structural issues within WIA that are contributing to
these declines, and offers recommendations on how Congress can transform
the workforce development system in order to better serve groups that
are disadvantaged in the labor market through WIA reauthorization. In
addition, this paper calls upon Congress to reinvest in the publicly
funded workforce system so that low-income individuals have access to
critical services to help them enter and succeed in the labor market;
low-wage workers can advance into better jobs; and employers have access
to a skilled workforce. A strong workforce system that works for all
will help individuals, communities, and the nation at large to thrive in
today's globally competitive economy.
http://www.clasp.org/publications/action_needed_for_wia_final.pdf
<http://www.clasp.org/publications/action_needed_for_wia_final.pdf>

Earning and Learning: Options under the Workforce Investment Act
Adults with limited work experience, low education and skill levels and
other barriers to employment face the greatest challenges, especially at
a time of rising unemployment. Strategies that combine work and learning
are critical to help these individuals to enter or regain employment.
Earning and Learning: Options under the Workforce Investment Act focuses
on two program strategies that combine work and learning: on-the-job
training and paid work experience combined with skill development.
http://www.clasp.org/admin/site/publications/files/EarnLearn.pdf
<http://www.clasp.org/admin/site/publications/files/EarnLearn.pdf>

Employment and Training: Most One-Stop Career Centers Are Taking
Multiple Actions to Link Employers and Older Workers
The share of older persons in the U.S. population is projected to
increase to 30 percent by 2025 and continue to grow through 2050. At the
same time, more older Americans are expected to continue working and
many will likely make transitions to different jobs and work
arrangements, increasing their need for employment and training
services. Older Americans may need to continue to work beyond when they
otherwise might have retired, in order to ensure a more secure financial
future. Employers, facing slower growth in the available workforce, may
need to retain or attract older workers. Older workers are generally
defined as those persons age 55 and older who are employed or seeking
employment. The U.S. Department of Labor (Labor) has identified one-stop
career centers, required by the Workforce Investment Act (WIA), as a
means to link older workers with employers through employment and
training services.
http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d08548.pdf
<http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d08548.pdf>

Enhancing Recovery Act Training Provisions through State WIA Plan
Modifications
Congress and the U.S. Department of Labor (USDOL) have articulated a
transformative vision for the use of Recovery Act funds that includes
career pathways, industry partnerships, and increased training. USDOL is
requiring states to revise their State WIA plans to reflect the
strategies they intend to pursue to implement these goals.
http://www.workforcealliance.org/atf/cf/%7B93353952-1DF1-473A-B105-7713F
4529EBB%7D/WIA_STATEPLANRECOMMENDATIONS04.20.09FINAL.PDF?tr=y&auid=48785
17

Implementing Workforce Investment Act and Wagner-Peyser Funding under
the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (2009): Frequently Asked
Questions
The approved initial set of Q's and A's for Implementing Workforce
Investment Act and Wagner Peyser Funding under ARRA have now been
posted.
http://www.doleta.gov/recovery/TEGL14-08_Change1_FAQs.cfm
<http://www.doleta.gov/recovery/TEGL14-08_Change1_FAQs.cfm>

Pennsylvania Expands WorkABLE Professional Development
Pennsylvania's WorkABLE program
<http://www.pawerc.org/foundationskills/site/default.asp?g=0
<http://www.pawerc.org/foundationskills/site/default.asp?g=0> > has
expanded from 20 to 43 agencies statewide as it collaborates with its
Workforce Investment Act (WIA) partners to integrate work-based
foundation skills into core instructional programs for adults. As an
incentive, participating agencies receive mini-grants to develop and
implement innovative projects in a work context using the state's Adult
Basic and Literacy Education (ABLE) Foundation Skills Framework
<http://www.pawerc.org/foundationskills/cwp/view.asp?a=249&Q=92970&found
ationskillsNav=|6529|&foundationskillsNav=|5553|6529|
<http://www.pawerc.org/foundationskills/cwp/view.asp?a=249&Q=92970&found
ationskillsNav=|6529|&foundationskillsNav=|5553|6529|> >. Among the
professional development support opportunities are workshops,
teacher-in-residence programs, mentoring, and site-specific trainings
that expand the state's capacity to provide adults with work-based
contextual learning. The program is slated for continuation next year.

Using Increased Funding under the Workforce Investment Act to Create
Multiple Pathways to Marketable Postsecondary Credentials and
Middle-Class Employment
This paper discusses how the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) system can
use new funding and flexibility under the American Recovery and
Reinvestment Act (ARRA) to implement cutting-edge workforce education
and training strategies that can help low-skill adults and out-of-school
youth gain the skills and credentials they need to fill the pipeline of
skilled workers for jobs important to local economies.
http://www.clasp.org/publications/arra__careerpathways.pdf
<http://www.clasp.org/publications/arra__careerpathways.pdf>

Using the Workforce Investment Act to Develop and Foster Innovative
State Workforce Policies and Programs (Working Poor Families Project)
http://www.workingpoorfamilies.org/pdfs/WPFP_policy_brief_summer08.pdf
<http://www.workingpoorfamilies.org/pdfs/WPFP_policy_brief_summer08.pdf>

Workforce Development: New Opportunities for Creating Pathways to Good
Jobs and Sustainable Employment
This audio conference highlights opportunities created by the American
Recovery and Reinvestment Act for addressing the needs of low-skill
workers under the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) and linking training to
job creation and retention efforts.
http://www.clasp.org/audio/ac03042009.htm
<http://www.clasp.org/audio/ac03042009.htm>

Workforce Investment Act Reauthorization: Will the Past Be Prologue?
As Workforce Investment Act (WIA) reauthorization begins to gather some
momentum, and ETA begins to shape a revitalized research agenda, is the
ideal time to step back and ask three critical questions.
The first question. What is the historical economic and labor market
context in which this attempt to remake employment policy is unfolding?
What path has employment policy followed? What has happened to the
economy and to labor markets? Which trends are long-term secular trends,
and which are a result of the current recession?
The second question. What are the big-picture lessons from over three
decades of research into workforce development and related programs?
This could point us in directions relevant to the WIA legislation and
current program operations.
The third question. In what critical areas is the record weak or
nonexistent? This could point to new directions for future research.
http://www.mdrc.org/publications/532/presentation.html