[Workforce 120] Re: The Webcast - my thoughts on and my experience with certificate programs

Matusow, Robin I. RMatusow at dadeschools.net
Thu Dec 9 17:50:24 EST 2010

Not many 17-22 year olds know what they want. Nor do many other person’s returning to or transitioning into adult/vocational training. I would suggest that anyone who is unclear about career choices participate in a “work evaluation” . A professional (there is a national certification for the provision of these services) work evaluation has , in my experience been invaluable to those who are unclear about what they want to do, can do or have the potential to do. It is customary to use the process for persons with disabilities, however, there is nothing about the tests that are specific to disabilities. Many have marketed and used the evaluations as a shortened path to work or limited training. They can be designed for both short and long term goals. The value in a complete evaluation is that it produces data on the real KEY areas important for adult learners. Those areas are interest,( both narrow and broad) skills and work environment matching ( based on specific matched sector skills) and aptitude. The information can be used for life long learning and career planning.

Thanks for the “soap box”