Using Social Media in Teaching and Professional Development - Building Adult Education Technology Capacity
Technology has changed what it means for learning communities to "be together." Digital tools are now an important part of teaching, learning, and professional development. But how do you keep pace with it all?
Join Nell Eckersley, Jackie Taylor and guests, to explore popular social media tools available to you and how they may be used in teaching and professional development. Then sign up for a small group to learn how to use the social media tool of your choice. Learn alongside others and share ideas for teaching and learning. Small groups then share back what they learned with the Technology and Professional Development Lists.
Kick off Discussion: July 12 - 16, 2010
To participate: subscribe to the Adult Literacy Professional Development Discussion List
Small Group Discussions: July 19 - 30, 2010 - online venue TBA.
Sign Up Now for the Top Small Group of Your Choice
Culminating Discussions: August 2 - 6, 2010
To participate: subscribe to either the Technology and Distance Learning OR
the Adult Literacy Professional Development Discussion List.
Follow @TechPD and hashtags #TechPD and #SMPD for the backchannel in Twitter.
- Susan Gaer, Professor of ESL at Santa Ana College
- Melinda Holt, Project Specialist, Sacramento County Office of Education
- Steve Quann, Instructional Technologist, World Education
- Richard Sebastian, Ph.D., Instructor/Instructional Technology Specialist, Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
- Marian Thacher, Director, Outreach and Technical Assistance Network (OTAN)
- The POST Method: A systematic approach to social strategy
- AALPD/ALTN Social Media Survey Results
- Web 2.0 tools for Adult Education Matrix
- Social Networking Goes to School
- Extensive Listing of Learning Tools
- The Changing Landscape of Teacher Learning – Interview with Chris Dede
- Web 2.0 Tools for Teachers
- 25 Ways to Use Social Media for Your Next Event
- Google for Educators
- Google Earth Explore
- Google Lesson Plans
- Using Social Media Discussion Archive, Manually Updated
More information will be posted here as it becomes available.
Previous Building Adult Education Technology Capacity discussions:
Part I: Online Learning and the Adult User: New Findings and Applications
Part II: Growing Learners’ Skills Through Virtual Literacy