[Technology 832] Changing reading levels of text questions

Share: Share on LinkedIn! Print page! More options

Archived Content Disclaimer

This page contains archived content from a LINCS email discussion list that closed in 2012. This content is not updated as part of LINCS’ ongoing website maintenance, and hyperlinks may be broken.

Patti White prwhite at MadisonCounty.NET
Tue Feb 6 16:21:20 EST 2007

I received the following request and I'm stumped. Here's the request:

Do you know of a computer program that takes text and offers suggestions for dropping the reading level.. As in maybe 10th grade to 5th grade...Is there software that does that other than just using the Flesch-Kincaid Readability stats and doing it by hand???

Next question..When you are adapting text for folks with literacy issues....you know how you drop the reading level down and augment with pictures...Is there a term that is used for that ..something like .modified text with pictures or something like that...????


The only thing I can find that might help is the Auto Summarize feature in Microsoft Word, but it's not really appropriate. Does anyone know of some software that will drop the reading level of text? And is there a term for that process?

Thanks for whatever help anyone can give,
Patti White

Patti White, M.Ed.
Disabilities Project Manager
Arkansas Adult Learning Resource Center
prwhite at madisoncounty.net
800.569.3539 ph/fax/tty
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lincs.ed.gov/pipermail/technology/attachments/20070206/410e1677/attachment.html