Learning to Achieve: A Review of the Research Literature on Employment Experiences and Outcomes for Youth and Adults With Learning Disabilities
This literature review builds upon and supplements the research review and analyses conducted by A Review of the Research Literature on Serving Adults with Learning Disabilities. It is a review specifically targeted to research on adults in the areas of employment, adult education, and career development.
This document identifies six themes that arose from the literature review:
- Facilitate the development of self-determination skills;
- Build capacity of adult educators to serve students with LD;
- Facilitate accommodations to meet unique needs;
- Incorporate career development activities in adult education;
- Establish collaborative ventures with employers;
- Acknowledge the unique perspectives and influence of people with LD.
Related to each theme, specific practice recommendations are described for adult educators working with individuals with learning disabilities. The resource also includes recommendations for future research.