Getting Started Toolkit (Part 3): Conducting a Gap Analysis
This implementation manual and accompanying web-based tutorial are the third in the series, Building Bridges for Career Pathways in Michigan. The resource describes how to analyze the regional labor market and use that data to develop career pathways. Sample documents and spreadsheets are provided to help readers formulate questions regarding current and future conditions, such as:
- How do the skill and educational levels of the current labor supply compare to those required in growing and critical occupations?
- Are there any organizations currently addressing the needs of out‐of‐school youth, low‐wage/low‐skilled workers, speakers of languages other than English, dislocated workers, and incumbent workers?
- What is the capacity of these organizations to meet future demand?
- What gaps are not being addressed?
- What can be done to address these gaps?
The Getting Started Toolkit and Tutorials were created to document development and implementation of the Building Bridges for Career Pathways in Michigan project and to provide resources for other state and local organizations wishing to replicate their career pathways process. The complete six-part series of resources from the Building Bridges to Career Pathways in Michigan project can be found at www.maepd.org/lib-careerpathways.html.
Participants will be able to use the tools provided to conduct a gap analysis and begin the development of career pathways in high demand occupations.