Transitioning students through their educational experience and on to post-secondary education can be a challenging process. LINCS offers a variety of resources that practitioners can use to learn more about the research and best practices for transitions programming.
Watch the Achieving Student Success: Transitions to Post-secondary Education Webcast to learn about what local programs, in partnership with colleges, are doing to ensure that students are ready to move from adult literacy classes to post-secondary education and beyond. The presenters’ slides and references are available.
The Research on the Economic Impact of the GED Diploma Panel Discussion focused on the economic benefits that accrue to holders of the General Educational Development (GED) credential.
Join the discussion list on Transitions to Post-secondary Education. The list promotes the sharing of information, research, expertise, and resources to help bridge the gap between what adult secondary and English language acquisition programs traditionally offer and what most adult learners need to succeed in post-secondary education. Join other practitioners in exploring such topics as curriculum and instruction, college readiness, counseling, assessment, program development, career awareness, data collection, and partnerships.
Adult literacy practitioners are increasingly concerned with supporting adults as they transition to post-secondary education or training. Use the research articles, materials, and curriculum from the LINCS Resource Collections —Basic Skills, Program Management, and Workforce Competitiveness— to plan and develop transitions programs. Here’s a sampling of what is available in the Resource Collections.
- GED Career Bridge to Hospitality Curriculum is a technology-based resource that prepares students for the GED credential while providing background information, skill instruction, and practice in a hospitality career context and career pathway model.
- State or local program administrators can use the seven lessons outlined in The Integration of Immigrants in the Workplace as a guide when offering services or planning to improve current programs that support English language learners as they transition to the workplace.
- The Construction Math Toolbox combines industry-required math lessons with supplemental academic and career guidance information.
- The article Challenges in Assessing for Post-Secondary Readiness examines the major assessments in use today to measure adult learning gains and to determine student placements.
- The authors of Learning Disability: Life after High School provide guidelines and summarize research on the challenges faced by adults with learning disabilities when transitioning to post-secondary schooling and employment.
Check this listing for more items in the Resource Collections on transitions to post-secondary education.