This comprehensive, integrated multimedia resource supports instructional leaders, mentors, and beginning teachers to implement a teacher induction program. It features information briefs, instructional strategies and techniques, online interactive tools, online courses, and role-based step-by-step implementation guides. The Toolkit was field tested in adult education programs and may be adapted to fit a variety of individual program and teacher needs. The Toolkit includes materials that:
- strengthen the instruction of beginning teachers so that it is evidence-based and aligns with their program’s initiative or the new content area being taught
- help experienced teachers perform as mentors to beginning teachers
- guide instructional leaders to provide the necessary support and leadership to the mentors and beginning teacher as they work through the Teacher Induction Pathway
Programs are encouraged to use all the materials in the Toolkit for the greatest success, but the materials can and should be adapted to suit the needs of individual programs.
Adult Education Teacher Competencies
Adult Education Teacher Competencies
Teacher Induction Pathway
The Teacher Induction Pathway is an infographic of a model for inducting a beginning teacher into adult education, including those new to teaching, adult education or a new content area
The briefs provide foundational knowledge and the evidence base for key aspects of the adult education teacher induction components and resources.
This brief provides an introduction to and overview of what induction is and what the process involves. It includes an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of the beginning teacher, mentor, and instructional leader throughout the induction process. It should be used during the Readiness and Planning steps of the Teacher Induction Pathway.
This brief identifies the conditions needed within a program for an induction process to have a positive impact on beginning teacher performance. It includes a local program self-evaluation worksheet to determine if conditions are present and to plan for improving readiness. It should be used during the Readiness and Planning steps of the Teacher Induction Pathway.
This brief defines what a mentor is, describes the impact a mentor can have, and identifies the characteristics of an effective mentor. It should be used during the Planning step of the Teacher Induction Pathway.
This brief provides an introduction to evidence-based instruction. It should be read during the Planning step of the Teacher Induction Pathway.
These three self-paced online courses are divided into multiple segments to allow for practice, reflection, and extended learning. Completion certificates are available.
- Introduction to Teacher Effectiveness and Induction
- Principles of Learning for Instructional Design
- Motivating Adult Learners to Persist
The implementation guides give step-by-step guidance to instructional leaders, mentors, and beginning teachers as they implement an induction program using the Adult Education Teacher Induction Toolkit. The guides lead practitioners in using all of the materials in the Toolkit.
- Leadership Guide for Teacher Induction This guide details what the instructional leader can do to lead and support the efforts of the mentor and beginning teacher to implement induction. It should be used by instructional leaders throughout every step of the Teacher Induction Pathway.
- Mentoring Guide for Teacher Induction This guide provides specific guidance and resources for mentors and beginning teachers with a set of tools implement induction. It should be used by mentors and beginning teachers throughout every step of the Teacher Induction Pathway.
Teacher Effectiveness Glossary
The Teacher Effectiveness Glossary provides definitions of the acronyms and terms found throughout the Adult Education Teacher Induction Toolkit, including the online courses and information briefs. It is helpful for every step of the Teacher Induction Pathway.