by Steve Graham, Karen Harris, and Michael Hebert
Examines the effectiveness of formative writing assessment and identifies best practices in writing assessment. Recommendations include the following:
Use Formative Writing Assessment To Enhance Students' Writing. Writing improves when teachers...
- Provide feedback to improve student writing.
- Teach students how to assess their own writing.
- Monitor students' writing progress on an ongoing basis.
Apply Best Practices For Assessing Writing In The Classroom
- Allow students to use the mode of writing in which they are most proficient when completing a writing assessment —pencil/paper or word processing.
- Minimize the extent to which handwriting legibility or computer printing bias judgments of writing quality.
- Mask the writer's identify when scoring papers.
- Randomly order students' papers before scoring them.
- Collect multiple samples of students' writing.
- Ensure that classroom writing assessments are reliably scored.
Visit our About TEAL page to learn more about the project and our participants. Look for new materials under Project Resources and visit Links to learn more about specific topic areas that are part of this adult literacy professional development project to improve teacher quality.