TEAL Summer Institute
Teachers and state-level coordinators from the 12 TEAL states convened in Washington, DC in August 2011 to attend a four-day Summer Institute on research-based strategies for teaching writing to ABE students. Nationally recognized experts/researchers in writing facilitated daily sessions, engaging participants in hands-on activities and lively discussions.
For an excerpt of each presenter’s session, click on the video link beside each name below:
- Charles “Skip” MacArthur, Teaching Self-Regulated Strategies for Planning and Revising to Adult Learners
- Linda H. Mason, Framing the Constructed Argument Response
- Gary A. Troia, The Reading/Writing Connection
- Gary A. Troia, Summarization Strategies
- Dolores Perin, Writing Skills for Successful Transition to Postsecondary Education
- Assistant Secretary Brenda Dann-Messier Address to TEAL Participants, August 4, 2011
- TEAL Testimonials, What Researchers are Saying about the TEAL Summer Institute.
Participating teachers selected specific strategies that they wanted to try out in their ABE classes and they set goals for their professional growth. Throughout the 2011-2012 academic year, TEAL participants will implement selected strategies and provide feedback to the TEAL staff on their successes as well as the challenges they face in implementing the strategies.