Research indicates that teacher effectiveness determines student achievement and performance. To develop successful students, one focus of adult education programs should be on developing and supporting effective teachers, especially those new to adult education or the profession. This page includes a variety of resources and tools to enhance teacher effectiveness in adult education.
The Competencies identify the knowledge and skills expected of any adult education teacher. A Self-Assessment, introductory online course, and interactive framework are also available.
Evidence Based Instruction
Learn about evidence-based instruction principles and strategies highlighted in the National Research Council’s Improving Adult Literacy Instruction: Supporting Learning and Motivation.
Online Courses on Evidence-Based Instruction
- Principles of Learning for Instructional Design
- Motivating Adult Learners to Persist
Teacher induction is an evidence-based strategy to accelerate the effectiveness of beginning teachers and those new to adult education or a new content area.
- Teacher Induction Pathway infographic
- Online Course: Introduction to Teacher Effectiveness and Induction
- Adult Education Teacher Induction Toolkit
- Annotated Bibliography and an audio interview with an adult education practitioner who shares her experience as a new teacher and ways to use the Annotated Bibliography. Click here for the transcript of the audio.
- The Teacher Effectiveness Glossary gives definitions and acronyms for terms used in all the teacher effectiveness materials.